Achieving strategic change can be complex but it doesn’t have to be complicated. Change management is an intentional process to help people move from the present to a new way of working as part of an overall strategy. This might include a new organizational structure, introduction of a new technology, a change in a system or process, or a combination of these. The most important changes are disruptive to the way people work and that can result in resistance. They also cut across organizational boundaries and require a systemic approach. We can help you design a roadmap to guide implementing your transitions as smoothly as possible.
Our Approach is Inclusive and Flexible
Here is a simple strategy roadmap. The exact design of your roadmap and the timetable will depend on the scope and purpose of the initiative. Each roadmap is designed to deliver these benefits:
- The initiative has clear outcomes and metrics
- Leaders are aligned and ready to guide the process
- Periodic Large group meetings create shared understanding and commitment, while giving everyone a voice
- Small groups do the work of making the change happen
- At every major step, we assemble a small representative group of participants to help plan the next meeting
- Leadership meets periodically to revise the roadmap
High Engagement Builds Internal Capacity
Participating in this kind of a change initiative is a growth experience for individuals, teams, and the whole organization. Leadership teams are seen as authentic and trustworthy. Individuals understand the why they are making this change and have an opportunity to add their own creativity to improve outcomes. The sharing that takes place in large group meetings fosters synergy and new relationships that carry over into everyday life in the workplace. Change goes from being something scary to an exciting journey to a better future that everyone can contribute to. Our approach is to share what we know with you so you and your organization will be able to carry on long after we are gone.
One Client’s Change Management Story
The Client: A heavy manufacturing plant in North America owned by a multi-national corporation
The Challenge: The plant was in danger of being closed after a number of years of heavy losses. The plant was plagued by a flat market, tough competition, high quality costs (rework), slow delivery, and an adversarial labor-management climate.
Three DTA consultants worked over a period of several months with plant leadership and a 23-person planning team made up of managers, workers, and union leaders. Designed and facilitated a 2-day all-staff retreat to develop and commit to a new strategy. All 250 employees attended along with 22 key suppliers and a panel of customers. Strategic goals were developed that everyone could contribute to. An implementation roadmap was created for the next year.
Results after One Year
- Cycle times for product delivery dropped from 27-28 to 18-19.
- The cost of quality (scrap, rework) dropped from 8.6% to 3.4% of sales.
- Sales were up from $40M to a projected $50M the first year and $60M the second year.
- Involvement of shop floor employees to lead plant tours got rave reviews from prospective customers and led to several new orders.
- Cross-functional teams were formed involving shop floor employees to address long standing process problems.
- All three United Steel Workers locals agreed to new three-year contracts that included managements need for more flexibility in job classifications and the unions need for an early retirement option for senior workers.
- Union grievances dropped significantly.
- The $5.5 million loss was trimmed to $1.5 million the first year and expects to break even or be in the black the second year.
- All laid off workers were called back and the workforce increase by 20%.
- 25% of all workers were trained for new jobs or responsibilities.